Square Organics is a little company that “began in the San Francisco kitchen of husband and wife Sarah & Andrew Gordon”. Cute!
They make protein bars that are chocolate-coated and in the shape of, well, a square. 😛 All of their products are based on simple non-GMO ingredients that exclude dairy, soy, gluten and processed sugars! Neat!
What’s in there? Depends on the flavor of course, but usually it’s coconut nectar, brown rice protein, dark chocolate, oats, nuts and nut butter (can be cashews, almonds, peanuts, coconut, etc.), coconut oil,… You can also find fruit bits, spices, brown rice crispies, etc. Overall, it’s only good stuff!
Macros? Per bar, it’s usually 210-230KCAL, 10-12P 9-11F 20-23C. Nice!
7 flavors to this day, and I want to try them all! Let’s see the ones I’ve tried so far!
1. Nuts and Sea Salt – Mmmh Salty! 8/10
* Appearance: A thick dark chocolate-coated square! Lots of nut bits inside, and a chocolatey smell… Yum! 😛
*Texture & Taste: Oh so soft! Each bite is light, mellow and pleasantly chewy, with the nut bits giving it some crunch here and there! 👍🏼👍🏼😊
As for the taste, the chocolate is delicious and the bar itself is rich and nutty with just the right amount of salt in the end.. Like a very thick and yet very light nut butter, covered in dark chocolate! I love it! Didn’t know they could deliver a new flavour as tasty as Almond Spice (see below), but they did it! YUM! 😍😍
2. Almond Spice – The Spicy One 8/10
* Appearance: A thick dark chocolate-coated square! (I think all Square Bars look the same… :P) It smells really nice, very chocolatey and appetizing! 😛
*Texture & Taste: One word: soft! A slight crunch from the thin chocolate coating, and then it’s soft and chewy all the way (with the occasional crunchy almond chunk)! So pleasant! 👍🏼👍🏼😊 As for the taste, the chocolate is on point and the bar itself is this exquisite mix of almond and cinnamon, very well executed! The cinnamon is perfect, just the right amount of spice, it’s so tasty… 😍😍
3. Chocolate Coated Crunch – The Simplest of Them All 7/10
* Appearance: A thick dark chocolate-coated square! It kind of crumbled everywhere when I cut it in half… Ooops… Very chocolatey though! 😛
* Texture & Taste: The texture is very soft with little crispy bits throughout! Just like the other Square Bars I tried (and although this one does look a little bit dry), it is light, mellow and pleasantly chewy, with an added crunch this time from all the crispies! 👍🏼👍🏼😊
As for the taste, the thin chocolate coating is dark and delicious, and the filling is rich and sweet. Very simple and efficient, not much of a surprise actually.. I have to admit it pales a little bit in comparison to Almond Spice and Nuts & Sea Salt: of course it works (deliciously) but in a very plain way this time… Still: pretty yummy, especially once covered in nut butter! 😍😍
More to come soon!